Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Heathrow

After much last-minute shopping, packing, repacking and packing once more, I am finally on my way! The flight from Edmonton to London left at 8pm. We (Maria and I) arrived at 11:30am London Time. A few flight highlights:
  • Finally getting a chance to catch up with Maria. It has been so busy these last few months...it was nice to have a visit without the stress of school weighing overhead
  • Watching National Treasure: Book of Secrets
  • Seeing the sun caress the horizon somewhere over the North Atlantic
  • Comparing the perfectly-square Alberta farms to the oddly-shaped, tree-lined lots around the Heathrow Airport.
  • 2 really good airplane meals (chicken for dinner and a continental breakfast-how appropriate).

We weren't really exactly sure how to find Vivaen in the airport. After waiting by the airline counter for a few minutes, we found the Air Canada counter (it was hiding) and discovered her flight arrived before ours did. We choose to wonder around Terminal 3 in hopes of running into her. Barring that, we would see her at the gate, when it is announced before the flight. Luckily, the book worm in us all worked in our favour. We found Viv in a bookstore shopping for a novel.#

Heathrow is nice, but it actually reminds me of a shopping mall. We found a cosy set of benches between Gucci and Armani to settle down in. Maria is reading and Viv is fast asleep. The people watching has been great! There are people from a multitude of ethnicities; more than I have ever seen in one place. For example: across from me is a Jewish family with 6 boys + one baby in the carriage and another on the way. I have seen 3 African men in traditional-looking robes. I just passed a fellow that has the same haircut as mine. There are seasoned travelers, obvious tourists, business people, employees and lots of children (more than I expected). I always thought it was difficult to travel with kids.

Viv has us booked into a hotel in Entebee and a driver will be picking us up at the airport. The plan for Tanzania is yet to be finalized but likely we'll take a day or 2 to see what types of tours/safari's are available and go from there.

Jenna teased me this year about my habit of saying "I've read about it...". After this summer, I should be able to say I've actually seen it. So far, I noticed vehicles driving on the opposite side of the road. I also saw a Double-Decker bus and overheard a woman saying "David" with the same accent as in Love Actually.

I'm feeling tired, excited, and content all at the same time. It still hasn't sunk in that this is actually happening! We board the plane in another few hours, then off to Dubai!

*Jme*

No comments: