Saturday, May 10, 2008

Safari planned!

We got one! It is a 11 day 10 night safari including a hike up part of Mt. kKilimanjaro. It also includes 3 of the near-by national parks including the Serengeti. There was a great deal at the company we choose because this is there 'slow' season. So our package includes 5 star lodges, and our own personal tour guide/driver. We leave tomorrow at 8am for Kilimanjaro. I am so excited.

There was a party in the bar at the Masai camp last night. They know how to party here, the music played until 4am. Thankfully I brought my earplugs, but unfortunately (I guess) my book was so gripping I wasn't tired and couldn't sleep. I just finished Blood Letting and Miraculous Cures.

Today we walked into Arusha again to finalize our safari plans, get our phone minutes working (we can receive calls, but not make them), buy some more fruit, hit the bank, and do our emails. It has been much better today because I think the locals realize we are not brand new. I also stopped saying Hi to everyone I meet. The cook at the camp told us some choice works in Swahili to discourage the "fly catchers" and other 'sales people' who harassed us yesterday. Go away is Apana Nenda (this is phonetic spelling). Works like a charm.

I am uncertain of the internet access on Safari so don't fret if you don't hear from me in 11 days. We should have cell coverage.

2 comments:

Harold Fast said...

Hi Jamie;
This is really neat to follow your adventures and thoughts. Marjie & I have many fond memories of that area 40 years ago. we are looking forward to a long visit and share your pictures when you are home.
Nice that you had a bit of flight time in a "real plane" behind you. Africa has soem really neat flying stories. Enjoy Kilimanjaro, looking forward to your thought after the Serengeti! Harold & Marjie

Kiel Luhning said...

I told Teri that I am going to start a blog about how insanely jealous I am of you and your trip...

I know you are having a great and amazing time... I know this will be life changing for you, and I can't wait to live vicariously thru you when I hear your stories!!!

Play safe

Kiel