Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Grande Finale

Hamburg was a really big concrete jungle that made me realize I appreciate nature over man-made 'beauty.' I did a harbour tour in a little boat. I saw some of the huge cargo ships, we even cruised under the bow where Leonardo would have been saying "I'm the King of the world." The captain kindly directed me to a really old restaurant for a seafood dinner. The only table free was for 8 people. I sat down, ordered my beer and fillets and was joined by a group of really big, German men who proceeded to take over my table and not even look in my direction. Nice. After the great fish, I joined a double-decker bus tour and saw the major sites from the top level. At the train station, I passed about 20 police with riot gear and some fierce-looking puppies: I think there was a football game or something. Surely, the wouldn't be there for me, right?

I took the train to Luebeck with much anxiety since I couldn't successfully book a dorm for the night. The second place had an empty room so I rested easy. I had a nice look around town as I walked from one end to the other carrying my ridiculously heavy backpack. The Hostentor (gate) has two slightly-leaning towers that guard the entrance. They are impressive! After a good night's sleep and hearty breakfast, I headed out to catch a boat tour. It was good, but since it was all in German, I mostly smiled and nodded. The ticket guy came by occasionally and pointed things out to me in English, which was really nice of him. I saw the city from the top of a church, viewed the several-hundred-year old town office and had cake in a famous cafe. I saw the shattered bells in another church. They fell during a WWII bombing raid and were left where they fell. I think it was one of the most powerful war memorials I saw (besides the camps, of coarse).

I had to move hostels then race to catch the train to Travelmuende, which is a beach-resorty place on the sea. I saw Germany's oldest lighthouse and accidentally wandered past the nude beach (FKK). I was looking for shells along the shore, glanced up and saw things nobody should ever see. The town was nice, but I found it a little difficult to enjoy: my anxiety for the coming days was building. The last time I saw the ocean was in Zanzibar and everything seemed okay. This time, it was a bad dream that I can't wake up from.

I had supper back in Luebeck at a cafe beside the river and the gates. It was a nice setting to finish off with. The people watching was fantastic as there was an outdoor concern just down the street. Mullets are very popular in Northern Germany.

I took an early train to Schwerin, dropped my bags and had breakfast in a cute, little half-timber house. The waitress spoke no English, so I had to really break out my German. It was challenging and fun. I think we both enjoyed it.

The palace at Schwerin was the nicest one I visited. The audio tour was excellent and the rooms were gorgeous. I can't believe people actually lived (and continue to do so) like this.

I discovered my favourite piece of art so far: Venus teaching Cupid to shoot his bow. Cupid followed me around the room with his eyes and bow. I wasn't scared, he's already got me once.

The grounds were all recently re-done. There were many statues, but I couldn't locate David holding Goliath's head. This lead to some interesting conversations as I asked people where David was. I had some fun with this one, but it turned out, David was being fixed and wasn't to be seen.

At 12:30, I was smelling roses in the garden instead of meeting Micha at the top of the Dom. I contemplated not going, but decided I was a better person than that. On the way up, I stopped to admire the bells, when they went off and scared the bejebes out of me. The view of the city was excellent, seeing him again was difficult.

We took the autobahm to Berlin. It was less scary this time, I can't decide if it was because he drove faster or if the traffic jams prevented the real speed-demons from gaining momentum.

I packed my stuff and everything just barely fit. We went into the city for all-you-can-eat-sushi. It was really good sushi. After some souvenir shopping (I had a tiny bit more room), we checked out Checkpoint Charlie, the Holocaust Memorial, and the Brandenburg Tor. Goodbye Berlin!

The flights home were good. I left Berlin at 7:20 and arrived in London at 9:45. I wrote in my journal, shopped and evacuated when the fire alarm went off. Just before I boarded the plane at 2:30, they announced me name and summoned me to the desk. I thought someone had died, but they just wanted me to change seats.

All my banana leaf items and honey made it through customs. Jess came to pick me and I got to see her boyfriend and new apartment for the first time.

I imagined running to the North Saskatchewan River, rolling in the muddy bank, and shouting "I'm home!" ala Kevin Costner in Robin Hood. Since I hadn't really slept for 2 days, I resisted the temptation.

To recap, Michael #1 style, Top Five Events from Africa:
5. Mchomo (meat on a stick)
4. Bwindi: hiking, cooking with Immaculate, dancing Calipso
3. The Great Migration in the Serengeti
2. Zanzibar
1. Examining an anesthetized lion

Top Five Things I did in Europe:
5. Salzburg with Sabrina and Theresa
4. The Gutenberg Museum in Mainz
3. Castles, Palaces, Fortress, and other ridiculously big homes.
2. Dresden
1. Vising the Siefert's in Michaelstat.

Top Five Low Points: we don't need to go there.

Now that I'm home, I can't believe I did all these things. Life will never be the same again. As I prepare to enter my 3rd year of Veterinary Medicine in a few days, I have a lot to get ready! I plan to work hard, enjoy the homestretch, and try not to think about what might have been.

Up next: I'm going to Kentucky for the American Association of Equine Practitioner's Student Conference over the September Long weekend.

No comments: