Friday, August 1, 2008

Berlin or bust...

This is one busy city! I have been going full throttle to get all the sites in. I viewed the city from the Reichstag Dome (National Parliament building). I toured the Museum of Medical History. They had some crazy gross pathology specimines. Lucky for me (and my feet), they had only a few displays with English, so lingering wasn't an issue. I a saw the Deutches Historishes Museum (Germany History Museum) which had an interesting display on the war. It was interesting to hear the other side of the story. I passed through Checkpoint Charlie without a scratch.

Today, I bought some new shoes. I picked up HushPuppie Sandles in London and hoped the blisters would go away now that I don't have to run after Mr. Long-Legs-Let's-Go, but instead, they seem to have gotten worse. My theory is that my feet are not accustomed to so many hard surfaces and the new shoes. Combined, this has been rather unpleasant. The sales lady was great, she even sent my new über cool shoes to the till by a space-aged elevator. I also looked in KaDeWe, Berlin's Harold's equivalent, but refrained from buying. It was expecially hard in the chocolate section. I had my first Currzwurst (Curry Sausage), which was fantastic!

I saw the Museum für Naturkude (Natural History Museum) which was like the British Natural History Museum, only in German. Again, lucky because I had not reason to linger. I saw the Pergamon's exceptional display on Babylon. I had supper beside an ancient church. I sadly missed the Jüdisches Museum, but I'll try tomorrow.

Germany so far is gute. I think my lack of German hasn't been too much of a problem so far. The hostel I'm staying in is nice. Overall, things are working out just fine.

I am going to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp tomorrow. I might go to Dresden or skip straight to München, I can't seem to decide. You'll know when I do!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your European adventures Jamie! I can't wait for you to get home!

ps...sorry i haven't been commenting as much as I should be. i've been so busy...crazy to think that school is so close!