Thursday, August 14, 2008

Whirl Wind

I'm neglected to write because I've been so busying seeing the most amazing things:

I went to Salzberg with Sabrina and her friend Thersa. We had a fabulous time touring Mozart's birthhouse, the castle, and the rest of town.

I took a train to the middle of nowhere to visit the Sieferts in Michaelstat (ironic name, huh?). When they walked me into the door, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Cafe Siefert serves a vast oray of sweets, chocolate, marmalade, cakes, and eis (Ice Cream). Then they asked what I wanted to try! Bernd is the world champion sweet chief! His sister Astrid was my host for the stay and took very good care of me. I got to 'help' her decorate a cake! She took me around Michaelstat and showed me all the good sites including the castles, the 500 year old town hall, and the beer gardens where I tried Apfelwien (apple wine). We took a day trip to Würtzburg. It was a nice city with a fabulous palace. Next, we went via the autobalm to Rothenburg. It was just as scary and crazy as people said. As the cars zoomed past us, I couldn't help but wonder 'what would their mothers say?'

Rothenburg was awesome! I am so lucky to be named after such a beautiful place.

Hiedleberg was next on the agenda. Astrid took me to the castle and we had a great time shopping. I took the train to Mainz, birthplace of Gutenberg, inventor of the printing press. After a good night's sleep in my own room at the hostel (luxury!), I saw the dom. As I was propping my camera to snap a picture, an old man said 'come with me.' He took me around the corner to the best view then snapped my picture for me. Nice guy. The museum was amazing, almost a religious experience for me since books have been such an important part of my life. I took a train to Bingen and hopped the boat on the Rhine. I had a chance to look around before the boat came. Another beautiful place with some fantastic wine. I landed at Bacharach and dropped my bag so I could wander around. The town great old buildings and a wall. I hiked up the hill and viewed the castle I couldn't get a room in, then walked along the town wall. It was nice to have some piece and quiet (lots of kids on the boat). I had supper at the cutest little cafe with a grandpa waiter. He was so sweet.

Back on the boat, I happened to sit next to 2 guys from Mannhiem. They turned out to be lots of fun and we had a great visit as the gazillions of castles passed by. There were so many castles, I think I lost count. I think the owners must have thrown rocks at eachother turing times of conflict. I took the train to Köln. It was raining as I stepped out of the train station. I looked around to get my bearings and completely lost my breath. Across the platz stood the Köln Dom. It was so beautiful and magnificent, I stood there for 5 minutes gapping. In the morning, I toured the town and saw the important sites: the Dom, the Roman museum, and the Chocolate Museum! It was fantastic. I took a train to Hamburg where I am now.

I want to see the city today then go to Lübeck and maybe Rostock before I go to Berlin to fly home. I can't believe it is almost over!

No comments: