Sunday, June 15, 2008

June 14th: Partay Uganda Style

Our understanding was that Leanne and Judy would be arriving today and needed their rooms back at Aqua View. So we packed and moved: Maria and I to Full Stop, which is down the road from FAOC, Viv to the FAOC office where she lived last summer. One room wasn’t clean so we just dropped everything off and went back to the office. Carol (a FAOC employee) invited us to her mother’s home for a party. Her English isn’t that good and my Ranyakory is terrible, so I wasn’t exactly sure what was happening. Leanne and Judy hadn’t yet messaged us to say what time they would be arriving, so we were stuck with what to do. Viv finally called and found out they were in Zanzibar! So, since we hadn’t unpacked, we moved back to Aqua View for the next 2 nights (at a savings of 30,000 Ugandan Shillings, approximately $21 Canadian). I was really sad about not having a hot shower but the double mattress will make up for it (Viv didn’t move back so I had 2!). We packed the car: Viv, Maria, Rebecca, Hilda, Carol, and Fancis (FAOC Accountant) plus myself.

The party was set up in what would be the yard. There were tarps stretched over cut matoke tree ‘trunks’ and furniture all around. We were warmly welcomed (alliteration is fun!) and offered some millet beverage. Food was served potluck style. We were invited to eat first, which was a great honour. The servers didn’t think I had been eating enough because even though I asked for only a little, they still piled on the matoke, beans, ‘cow’, sweet potatoes, and some type of millet-jello. I was full before I finished 1/2, but managed to get 3/4 through it. I feel so bad not finishing my food here, but it is really filling!

Between lunch and the program, I noticed the most scrumptious baby (that’s right, it was so cute, I wanted to eat it). Her mother noticed me eyeing it up. I walked over as if drawn by a magnet and she kindly dumped her into my arms. Princess (yep that’s her name, I double checked) is 5 months old and has the most gigantic eyes. I agree with Teri that black babies are the way to go.

Before the program could commence, the sound system and speakers had to be unloaded (it arrive via bicycle). The music started and Carol’s mother and family danced in procession. Different groups of people took turns dancing up and presenting her with gifts. I saw a few plates, a clock, 2 wash bins, and an encocoa (chicken) wrapped in matoke leaves. I was a little chocked I didn’t know about the gift giving because I would definitely have bought a few hens. When our turn came, I led the way and busted a move. Rebecca handed over an envelope with some money and we all shook our hostess’s hands and what our mama’s gave us. The audience was especially thrilled when Rebecca and I did a do-see-do type turn. The minister gave a speech followed by Francis who said some words on our behalf. He said we were sadly going to depart, and the minister’s clan insisted we stay to see them dance. The women strapped on shakers to their legs, the minister even hiked up his robe (don’t worry, he was wearing pants). They did a great dance to the beat of handdrums and the shakers.

Regarding the children: There were so many, and they were all very well-behaved. A few girls performed a dance for us. They had fashioned skirts out of matoke leaves and sashayed in what I would describe as belly-type dancing. After the second song, people handed them coins, so I gave a 500, hopefully they will share. The kids were very excited to shake our hands and have their pictures taken. I think they get a real thrill out of mzungus.

Supper was at Francis’s brother’s restaurant. We sat on the balcony which provided a beautiful scene of stars, the moon, and Mbarara below. Our food took a rather long time, which suited me fine. I still haven’t gotten used to how long it takes to get food here. I often sit down for a meal not feeling the least bit hungry, but by the time my food arrives, my belly button is rubbing my backbone. It was nice to sit and look at the stars (malaria be damned)! I have been keeping busy to really avoid thinking too much. I was able to settle down and focus on what is happening.  It is hard, but in perspective, nothing compared to what I see around me. I just wish it wasn’t happening. Time to wake up, Princess, the fairytale is over.

No comments: