Saturday, June 7, 2008

June 3rd: Mbarara

A taxi took us through a traffic jam to the bus station in Kampala. For once, the travel guide was spot on: it was just as chaotic as the book said. Some guys came to our car and talked to Viv (she’s the boss since she’s done all this before). He took us to a bus which was different than he said. It had seats (only 1/3 full) so we got on for 15,000 Ugandan Shillings (about $8 Canadian). It made the bag handler promise my stuff wouldn’t go missing before I got on. The buses don’t leave until they are full so I went to find a newspaper and buy phone minutes. There were people everywhere, including on the buses, selling everything from plates of hot food, cell minutes, shoes, belts, and water. At a shop along the way (no idea where but definitely on the Southern side of the equator), I bought meat on a stick. The vendors come up to the bus windows. It cost 500 USH ($0.30 Canadian) and tasted awesome! I couldn’t decide if it was beef or goat, but after a few hours on the bus, it was heaven. The bus ride had 2 positive points that stuck out: 1) it was really cheap 2) I didn’t have to ride with a chicken on my lap.

We took a taxi to the hostel where we are staying (we’re in the rooms of 2 Vets who are taking 2 weeks holidays). At the Foundation for AIDS Orphaned Children (FAOC), which is a 30 second walk down the road), we met Boaz (director). FAOC is the first project we are voluneering with. He took us to a fair. There were all kinds of people, food, booths, and the odd goat, which made the place very busy. We met Hilda, who is a social worker with FAOC at the booth (paid by Dr. Kent Wier’s church in Lloydminster as a donation to help the women). They were selling crafts made by the local women, which were actually very nice and I may have bought a few too many! We met up with the other Global Vets group. It was nice to see them and do some catching up. Hilda took me for more meat on a stick (twice in one day!). This time it was definitely goat. I also had some fried grasshoppers, which tasted like shrimp (delicious!). Don’t fret, I have pictures to prove it! While we were standing in the booth, people were taking pictures of us (i.e. local people were delighted to see some Mzungu girls aka white). Everyone seems so nice in Uganda!


I will add the last few days when I can. The internet is slow here as well. I also am deathly scared of riding the Boda Bodas (motorcycles) which have no helmets and don't obey traffic rules. Therefore, getting into town is a little difficult, so don't fret if you don't hear from me for a while. I will be okay and my tan has improved immensly due to the red dust!

No comments: