Saturday, June 7, 2008

June 2nd: In Kampala

It rained overnight and into the next day but luckily I dug out my $1 rain poncho which protected me quite well and amused the heck out of the locals. I had my first ride in a Matatu, which is a minibus/van type thingy here than is used as public transportation and holds 14 passengers legally (sometimes more are crammed in). We split up: Viv went to see if we could buy Gorilla Tracking permits from the Ugandan Wildlife Authority (no luck though), Maria and I went in search of one of Viv’s favourite coffee shops. The walk there took us past the Ugandan parliament and National Theatre, both of which had a very stately appearance. Lunch was at an Indian Restaurant. The nice waiter helped me order because I didn’t understand any of the dishes. It turned out to be a gigantic crepe with veggies. Yummy! We headed to a Craft market where I really enjoyed shopping (probably too much because my bags are now really, really heavy). After a few failed attempts, we boarded a matatu home and ate at the Red Chilly for supper.

No comments: