Saturday, June 14, 2008

June 4 School Link

The first school we visited was to receive 2 soccer balls and a match against the Mzungus (us). After arranging a time with the headmaster, we went to the neighbouring primary school. The whole school turned up for the assembly. After introductions, we launched into our discussion about Canada. Hilda, a social worker at FAOC, did a great job translating. We talked about the different seasons, especially winter, animals, and how we are veterinarians. We presented pencils to the P2 class which is has many deaf students. Next, we went to the P5 (primary Five = Grade Five). These students received a Canada pin and a pen. This class was asked to write letters to students in Saskatoon. We will take the letters home with us and then arrange for the next group of volunteers/students from Saskatoon to take the replies.

I was a little apprehensive about the soccer match since it has been probably 5 years since I’ve kicked a ball. We had a tour of the school before the match. The classrooms were very basic with simple desks, a chalkboard, and cement floor (the primary had dirt and no desks). The girls door had a dirt floor and rows upon rows of bunkbeds. They had very few possessions: a blanket, a small trunk, and maybe teddy bear. Only about five beds had mosquito nets. I was mauled by a group of girls on the way out. They wanted to touch me. One brave one poked my back. I turned around and started to shake hands. They were shrieking with delight. In the next dorm, I was again surrounded. They started asking me questions in English. Firstly, I had to clarify that we were not from the UK despite Hilda declaring we support Manchester United. They wanted to know what types of food we eat in Canada which let to a discussion on how cold it was so fruits can’t grow most of the year. One girl then asked “Do you have any problems?” I was speechless. The few things that came to mind paled in comparison to the situation here. My life really isn’t so bad and I had nothing to say. These girls live in an over-crowded dorm, who knows how far from home. They are surrounded by messages about HIV/AIDS.

I took some pictures of the girls and they were so delighted. As I showed them, someone touched my hair. I whipped off my sunglasses, shook it out and offered it to them. I can’t remember ever being so popular. I would have loved to stay all day and talk but the game had to be played.

The ‘pitch’ was lined with students, the grass was tall, and we gained an extra defender in the form of a giant rock near the far goal post. We gained a few girls from the school to complete our team. They played in barefeet and skirts and they were really tough. We tied 1-1 and I even kicked the ball a few times. It was really fun!

That night, I discovered the most amazing beverage. At supper, I added chocolate drink mix to my African Tea. I don’t think I have ever tasted something so good.


No comments: